Monday, January 2, 2012

My holiday masterpiece...




If you are one of the lucky people in the world, you have discovered and receive, Southern Living magazine.  My December 2011 issue had this fabulous cake in it.  I decided to go for it and make it.  Peppermint Cheesecake!  This was such a pretty cake.  I did change a bit of its creators original design, but not by much. Melodie from Georgia was the Southern Living runner-up, but to my eyes, number 1.  So let the challenge begin.  I have NEVER made a cheesecake before.  Scary, when you look at the time involved and, and, and. To my surprise, it was not as bad as I thought when I read the recipe.  It is layers of white sour cream cake, and peppermint cheesecake.  I used my favorite vanilla frosting from Smart and Final due to time pressure instead of her white chocolate mousse frosting.  Unfortunately for us in California we do not get the joy of decorating our baked goods with silver dragees.  So I used pale pink pearls, very pretty.
After completing my creation I had to drive it 55 miles north, practically bitting my nails.  To my horror the cake shifted a bit on the drive. However; we managed to nudge it back into place.
I am very pleased with all of the elements of this cake.   Great flavor, moist, and pretty to look at.  So glad for Melodie and for me daring to try something new...

If you want to make this cake yourself, leave me a note on this post.  It is a lot of recipe and directions, but I will list it if anyone would like.

1 comment:

  1. The husband saw this cake as I was reading your blog...his reaction "WOW!! I want that". I may have to be bold and try to attempt this. What's the level of difficulty for the unexperienced?

    ReplyDelete